Tax Information

Filing Taxes in the United States

If you are paid by your Host Organization, you are responsible for paying U.S. income tax on that pay. These taxes should be automatically withheld from your paycheck (in other words, paid directly to the government by your Host Organization). At the end of the year, you may be eligible to get back some or all of the taxes you paid.

As a J-1 program participant, there are some taxes that you must pay and others that you do not:

Taxes That You Must Pay:

  • Federal Income Tax
  • State Income Tax
  • Local Income Tax


Taxes that you do not have to pay:

  • Social Security & Medicare Tax (FICA)
  • Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)


For more information about tax responsibilities and tax withholdings, please speak with your Host Organization’s Human Resources Department or contact the Internal Revenue Service for free, confidential assistance at

Tax Refund Assistance

CICD has linked with TaxBack to simplify the tax return process for our J-1 program participants. TaxBack is a tax filing service that simplifies the process of filing taxes and getting tax refunds from the government. If you are interested in using a tax filing service, we recommend that you contact at, or find a similar alternative.

For more information regarding taxes and/or tax returns, please refer to the Internal Revenue Service website,